Business line: Transferable Skills
The School provides learning through its Transferable Skills business line to help public servants develop portable knowledge and skills that are applicable inside and outside of government. But this business line is not just about skills; it's also about behaviours, mindsets and connecting.
We offer a wide range of learning products and channels to help create a public service that is kinetic, connected and collaborative. Our offerings include project management, public and client engagement and change leadership, among others.
The School sources, curates, partners, designs, develops and delivers learning under three streams:
Business Acumen provides public servants with dynamic business administration skills to help them develop and deliver projects and other initiatives inside and outside a government context.
Our vision is to help public servants at all levels build knowledge, skills and mindsets to work in more open, agile, user-focused ways. This approach will help them adapt to change and continue to deliver results for Canadians. We are doing this by:
- building a new suite of learning products to address the needs of public servants in managing and leading projects and other initiatives
- developing learning to provide current knowledge and best practices in other key areas including risk assessment, negotiations, costing, agile, lean, and more
- networking and conducting learning needs assessments with organizations across the federal government to be successful in a rapidly changing environment, and incorporating this feedback into our curriculum development
Our courses include Project Management, Process Management, Negotiations, Financial Literacy, among others.
Leadership Fundamentals guides learning and training to provide fundamental leadership skills for learners at all levels, with a focus on behaviours, agility and enablement.
Our vision is to help learners—at any level and in any role in the public service—to develop foundational leadership capacities they can apply in their workplaces every day. We are doing this by:
- supporting the development of a leadership mindset across the public service by connecting and engaging stakeholders
- offering learning that responds to the evolving environment
- inspiring, enabling and empowering leaders at all levels to have a greater impact in support of Canadians
Our courses include Virtual Teams, Leading Transformation, Leadership Essentials and Navigating Through Change, to name a few.
Enabling Skills aims to equip public servants with the soft skills that will allow them to easily navigate the workplace and become highly valued, sought-after employees.
Our curriculum provides learners with the tools needed to work with information and knowledge. Learners will better understand and be able to use complex information to communicate, collaborate and cooperate more effectively to achieve desired goals.
Our courses include Being Brief, By Design, Problem Solving, Aligning Goals, Building Your Presentation, Business Writing, Customer Service and Communications.
You can follow the Transferable Skills team on Twitter or email them directly for questions.
Discover all Transferable Skills courses.
Anti-Racism Learning Series
The Anti-Racism Learning Series provides access to tools, job aids, courses, workshops and events on topics such as anti-Black racism, unconscious bias, disaggregated data, mental health and the challenges faced by visible minorities in the public service.