Federal employees working in access to information and privacy offices, as well as those whose responsibilities include tasks related to safeguarding personal information, are expected to have a solid understanding of the Privacy Act. This course presents an overview of the customary roles and responsibilities of access to information and privacy (ATIP) specialists regarding the processing and protection of personal information held by the government. Participants will learn how to process personal information throughout its retention period, as well as how to manage privacy breaches and conduct privacy impact assessments (PIAs).
- defining personal information
- working with personal information banks and Info Source
- preventing privacy breaches
- conducting privacy impact assessments
- using the best administrative practices in handling personal information
Access to Information and Privacy Fundamentals (I015) is a prerequisite for this course.